Below are frequently asked questions about ICOA hotspots as well as items that might resolve any service issues without requiring further assistance. If you require assistance you can email our support department. Please note that these FAQs are general and specific information may vary from location to location.
- What equipment do I need to use this service? To access the Internet inside this wireless location you must already have a laptop enabled with wireless 802.11b/g network capabilities and a web browser.
- What software do I need to use this service? You need to be running either Windows Vista, XP, 2000, 98SE or Mac OS X as your operating system. The version of Internet browser you need depends on your equipment and operating system, as indicated below: For Windows: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP2 or higher, Google Chrome, and Firefox. For Macintosh: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher and Safari.
- Can I access web-based email (such as hotmail) with this service? Yes. Make sure that you have entered your username and password to log into the service, then enter the URL of your email service into your web browser to access your email.
- Can I receive POP/SMTP-based email (such as Outlook Express) with this service? Yes. Make sure that you have entered your username and password to log into the service, then open your email application and your email should download as usual.
- Can I send POP/SMTP-based email with this service?At most locations our service will automatically route your outgoing email for you. There is usually no need to change your mail setting to send outgoing email messages. Make sure that you have entered your username and password to log into
the service, then open your email application and your email should send as usual.
If you cannot send email try changing your outbound SMTP server to omail.authdirect.com.
- Can I access my VPN or corporate network with this service? How? Yes. After authenticating by entering your username and password, you should be able to access your VPN or corporate network by running your VPN software or client. This is typically located on your computer desktop or in the Network Connections folder (if you are using Windows). Once your VPN is established, you can access your corporate network or email as you would if you were in the office.In some unique cases you will not be able to connect to a VPN from this service.
- Is the connection secure? Security is an important topic and we’ve done many things to provide for a secure experience, however, you should always use caution whenever accessing the Internet. We block each user from accessing other users on the network, but your “conversations” with the Internet are available to others. Please be sure to use secure “SSL” web sessions (aka HTTPS connections) for private transactions (like Internet banking, credit card transactions, and using pin numbers and passwords) and, if available, use your VPN software to encrypt all your traffic to and from your computer.
- Who is responsible for this service? This service is provided by ICOA, Inc. that is focused on public Internet service. For more information, please contact us.
- Where can I call for help? Our customer support is available every day 24 hours a day. We can be reached at or email@example.com.
- Can I roam with other service providers? Roaming capability varies from location to location, however Boingo and iPass users can currently roam into many of our locations.
- Can I use this service with AOL or MSN? Yes. Our service works with AOL and with MSN. However, you must first open your browser and log into our service before starting your AOL or MSN client software.
- How do I log in to my account?
a. Turn on or restart your computer.
b. Open your web browser. If you cannot connect to the Internet automatically, you will need to set your computer’s SSID (or network identifier) to the appropriate one for your location’.
c. Enter your user name and password on the welcome screen.
d. Once you have logged in, you will have access to the Internet.
e. If you log out and return to your computer before the end of your session time you will need to log back in. Just open your browser and retype your username and password to continue your Internet session.
- How do I log off? When you log in, a logout window will appear that will show you the number of minutes that you have been logged in. Sometimes the logout window does not appear because of a pop-up blocker. Just hold the control key while clicking the ‘Login’ button to bypass the pop-up blocker. Otherwise to logout, either click the logout button in the logout window or simply turn off your computer. You can also logoff at some locations by connecting to site http://126.96.36.199
- How do I configure my SSID? While many wireless cards automatically connect to the appropriate wireless network, in some cases you may be required to configure your SSID manually. Methods for setting the SSID vary across brands and models of wireless network cards. For best results, we recommend that you refer to the documentation provided with your particular wireless network card. The following web site maintains wireless card documentation for many vendors as well: http://www.wi-fi.org/certified_products. For reference, in Windows, this is typically done by following Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Network Connections. Then, for your wireless network card, view Properties->Configure and set your SSID field to the appropraite network. ICOA’s SSID is usually selected by the location owner, and will vary betwen locations.
- Is my wireless configuration supported? This network is 802.11b-compatible, so any certified wireless network card should be compatible.
- Are Macintosh computers supported? Yes, provided they have a compatible Internet browser and 802.11b network capability.
- How do I access my VPN or Corporate Intranet? After authenticating by entering your username and password, you can access your VPN or corporate network by running your VPN software or client. This is typically located on your computer desktop or in the Network Connections folder (if you are using Windows). Once your VPN is established, you can access your corporate network or email as you would if you were in the office.
- How will I know that my session time has elapsed? If your session time has elapsed, you will receive an error message indicating that the session has expired and you will then need to recharge when you try to login. Please follow the link provided to â€œrechargeâ€ your account. During the session, the logout window will display a timer indicating your login duration. When the time is up, the system will automatically log you out and give you an opportunity to recharge your account.
- I’ve signed up already.Can I signup again with the same account? You can simply login again with the same account. If needed, you will be given the opportunity to purchase additional time.
- I can’t seem to login. Why won’t it accept my username and password? Please make sure you type your full username. If you forget your password, you can call the help line for that location, and our customer service representative may be able to help you.
- What can I do after logging in? You will have full access to the internet. Besides access to all public Web sites and email, you may also use services including SSL, Telnet, FTP, VPN, etc.